Friday, January 22, 2010

One month left until Staging...freak out in 3..2..1..

The one thing I've noticed ever since finding out my placement is that my life consists entirely of countdowns. Countdowns until my last day of work, the goodbye/birthday extravaganza, my last day in DC, my last day in Ohio, my last day in these United States. Always "this many" days/hours/minutes until "the end". Or is it "the beginning"? Of course, I've always counted down things. The months before christmas, the days until I see my favorites, the hours until post-work drinkies. But I feel like all these countdowns have ended with happy moments/reunions/drunken stumbles home. My countdowns since December, while counting down to what I'm sure will be the most happy, exciting and life changing experience I've ever had, are also counting down to sad and tearful goodbyes, anxiety, nervousness and an overwhelming sense of...overwhelmingness.

So, apologies for the countdowns, but they're going to keep coming. But know that I type/say every single one of them with the greatest mix of happiness/sadness, excitement/anxiousness, braveness/fear. This next month is going to fly by and I know in the blink of an eye I'm going to find myself on a hill in Rwanda, mouth gaping (and camera in hand), and not be able to do anything besides reminding myself to breathe.

Alright, enough of my mindless rambling, onto some exciting news!

My staging (2 day "orientation") will be in Philadelphia on February 23rd!! I'll be flying out of Cleveland that morning and quickly meeting the 30ish people I'll be spending the following 3 months with in pre-service training :) On the 24th we'll be on a bus to NYC and our flight departs JFK at 6:10pm, with a layover in Brussels, then onto Kigali, Rwanda arriving at 7:45pm on February 25th.

It's the little things like this that are making reality set in. I'm really going, I'm really doing this, I'm really fricken excited.

Look out soon for an email from me requesting your contact info, but if you don't want to wait, send it to me now!!

Until next time.

2 comments:

Cinnaberi said...

Where are you in Ohio? My daughter and I live in Lakewood. She left in September for Mozambique and is now an official PCV having been sworn in on December 6th.

Just some information for you. When you are at the airport ready to leave, if you ask the ticket agent for a pass for your family, they should be able to wait at the gate with you. My daughter and I did this, and when they said it was reserved for military families, I merely said, "She's going in the Peace Corps." No questions, just a smile and passes to the gate. Best Wishes.

Amy said...

Thank you! I'm from Wooster but will be flying out of Cleveland for staging. I'll definitely try the same, already not looking forward to having to say goodbye. Congrats and good luck to your daughter!

Be the change you want to see in the world.
-Mahatma Gandhi