Friday, November 6, 2009

An impending invitation?

I got quite an interesting/exciting phone call yesterday..from a peace corps placement officer! It was like a mini interview, and he followed up on a lot of the same information that I'd given in my original one. Considering my last one was in March 2008, I had a lot to add. He asked a lot about my experiences in HIV/AIDS and it became apparent he wanted to know my work in advocacy/education/community work. Unfortunately, other than ESA and some other short experiences since college, my HIV/AIDS work has been predominantly in higher level, program work. Then he came out with it: he was considering me for a position in sub-Saharan Africa, in NGO/community development focusing in HIV/AIDS, departing mid to late February! Only catch was that the job description wasn't too clear on whether they wanted more program based experience or education/advocacy experience. He's emailing the post to see if I'd be a good candidate and told me he'd call either way; so I could get a call saying "I'm going to invite you" or it could go more like "just kidding, we'll find you something else". I know February is earlier than I was hoping to leave, but I'm more excited than ever! Oh, and I did a little internet searching and it looks like the three programs leaving around that time for Africa are: Namibia, Zambia and Rwanda!! (All three definitely in my top 10 countries) So fingers crossed, hopefully I'll get more info really soon. AH!

5 comments:

Molly McMills said...

I am curious to see how you figured how which countries were offered for departure?

Amy said...

I've discovered the Peace Corps Wiki page has a lot of great information! They've even posted possible departure dates/countries for 2010. Here's the link: http://www.peacecorpswiki.com/Timeline

Ashleigh said...

Congratulations! :) Hope they figure something out for you!

Unknown said...

Soooooooooooooo happy for you, but am going to miss you and cant wait to visit! :)

Molly McMills said...

Thanks Amy. That site is indeed very useful. This narrows my curiosity down a lot! I am suppose to leave in January/February for Central/South America. So this is very exciting. Thank you again.

I too am waiting for my packet in the mail!!!

Be the change you want to see in the world.
-Mahatma Gandhi