Monday, October 4, 2010

Ibitabo benshi cyane (very many books)

I fully anticipated the emails from my friends and family asking where I was and why I haven’t posted on my blog in awhile. But when complete strangers who happen to read my blog begin to comment on if I’m ok because it’s been a month since my last post, I believe it’s time to update you all!

So where have I been hiding? Well I’ve been traveling a fair amount, got sick (luckily it wasn’t malaria), experimented with cooking (can you say SUSHI?!), made new friends and said goodbye to one of my best, celebrated birthdays, succeeded in finding a banana market mama, trained my cat to leave the room when I say “out”, and finally got to watch Eclipse.

But mostly I’ve been living at the library. Did you know that I’m helping open a public library in my district? It’s true. The books are being supplied by the Rwanda Books for Peace Project (started by the first group of PCVs to return to Rwanda last year, in partnership with Books for Africa) and they arrived in Rwanda about a month ago. Since then, the librarian, Gilbertine, and I have been incredibly busy cataloguing and sorting close to 2,000 books of every size, genre and reading level, playing in Excel and alphabetizing up a storm. The isomero (the Kinyarwanda lessons continue! isomero = library) will be housed in two rooms at the Musanze District office, and will also have three computers for public use. We’re currently wrapping our confused minds around how to arrange the books (considering the Dewey decimal system is kind of out of our league here), but hopefully the front room will have Gilbertine’s desk as well as reference books (we have a complete set of Britannica encyclopedias!) and professional level texts; then the second room will be broken up by genre (science, math, english/reading, art/music, geography/travel, religion/spirituality, and novels for adults and children). As Rwanda’s National Police Academy and INES (a very well respected university) are located in Musanze, I’m hoping to eventually increase our collection of books on criminology, health, economics and science during my time here, since I’d really like the book offerings to cater to the needs of my community. I’m also applying for grants that will help fund decorations (can you say huge world map mural?) and other special educational events. I have grand plans for the library: English and IT classes, monthly “Health Day” and “Science Day”, reading groups, a bulletin board to connect kids in America to kids in Rwanda, and so much more.

So that’s where I’ve been and where I’ll continue to be for the foreseeable future! My work with the Access Project is continuing to plug away, I’m writing newsletters and grants to bring running water to health centers in need, and hope to get orientations on IT and pharmacy management sometime this month. So never fear, I’m alive and well and very happy and super busy. And with all this I’m still trying to find time to study Kinyarwanda, play with my kiddies and talk with my neighbors. More vendors than just carrot lady remember my face and name at the market now and I finally got the cucumber lady to stop ripping me off. I’m exploring new parts of the country and new areas of my neighborhood, and we’re all anxiously awaiting the next group of education volunteers who will arrive in Rwanda later this month! I hope you are all well and enjoying life wherever you are. Keep the updates coming, and I’ll try to do the same!

2 comments:

MsJess said...

Well right now I'm in library school and in one of my clases we had the assignment of trying to come up with an organizational schema for starting a new library in Africa! I wish you guys the best of luck with your project. How many books are patrons allowed to take out of the library and for how long?

I think it's great you want to offer classes in the library because it can be a great community resource for learning

Anonymous said...

great update!

Be the change you want to see in the world.
-Mahatma Gandhi