Monday, October 4, 2010

Village life, Hallelujah! and The Waiting Game

Ah, IST. Peace Corps In-Service Training. A week in Kibuye on Lake Kivu, at a gorgeous hotel-ish oasis, with yummy food, breathtaking views, wireless internet, swimming and oh yeah, those important trainings and meetings too. But first, I had to get there…

A little background: Kibuye is in the Western Province, in the middle of Lake Kivu, which creates the western boundary between Rwanda and Congo. For me in Musanze, there are two ways to get to Kibuye. 1) Take a two hour bus ride to Kigali and then another 3 and a half hour bus ride to Kibuye. Or 2) take a one hour bus ride to Gisenyi, then a 5 hour bus ride on a dirt road that lines the lake. Of course, me being the travel princess that I am, I had already decided to take the express Kigali route. That is, until my friend Tiffany suggested I stop at her site on the way down to Kibuye. Tiffany lives halfway between Gisenyi and Kibuye on that infamous dirt road, in Rutsiro district, in the sector of Kayove. Our other friend Portia, who lives in Gisenyi, agreed to meet up with me so we could make the trek to Tiffany’s together, and so begins our saga.

Bright and early on a Saturday morning, I hopped on a 7:45am express Virunga bus to Gisenyi (I got the front seat, so I was already feeling the good travel karma). By 9am I was in Gisenyi, where I attempted (yet again) to get my favorite samboussa’s from Habib’s. But (yet again) they had none and I settled on mango juice and biscuits. Portia arrived and we wandered over to the bus park to see when the next bus to Kayove might leave. When we asked, the man said saa yine (10am), but then scratched on his arm 11am and nodded when Portia asked “onze heure” in French. Fairly certain that the bus would leave around 11 we stopped at the bank and then hunted around town for ijana icyayi (100 franc tea). Failing miserably we settled for 200 franc black tea, a little bitter over having to spend extra money for a subpar product, and then returned to the bus stop at 10:45. We were quickly ushered to a waiting matatu (small “18 passenger” vans that I’ve seen cram in at least 22 passengers plus all of their bags, food, mattresses, small animals and babies) where the driver exclaimed “we are leaving”! Portia and I jumped in to the front seat, and quickly noticed that there were only two other people on the bus. The number one rule about buses in Rwanda: unless they are express buses, they don’t leave until they are full. So we sat, optimistic that maybe we would still leave at 11, and simply pick up additional passengers along the way.

We didn’t. At 11 we asked if we were leaving. The driver responded “at 11, yes!”. “But it is 11” we pointed out. “In 20 minutes, we leave. We leave at 11:30” the driver said, smiling. Portia and I exchanged knowing glances; we weren’t going to be leaving anytime soon. Then at 11:30, the driver miraculously started the car (despite only having 5 people on the bus)! Suddenly, slight chaos broke out, as what looked to be the head driver at the bus park came running over screaming at our driver in Kinyarwanda. While I’m not exactly sure what was said, I’m pretty sure the conversation went something like this:

“I’m leaving”
“You can’t leave, you have to have at least 10 passengers, and you only have five”
“But look, I have muzungus, I need to leave”
“You’re not leaving”

Of course, the fight took more than 10 minutes back and forth; but regardless the end result was our driver getting kicked off the bus and walking off in a huff, us getting kicked off the bus too, another driver jumping into the bus, and the bus driving off, empty. So, now it was noon, and Portia and I found ourselves sitting on a curb as the rains started, wondering what the heck to do next.

Soon, another option presented itself in the form of an Onotracom bus, leaving at 2pm. Onotracom’s are huge green buses that basically go where no other bus will go: the crazy dirt roads, the tiny villages high in the mountains and low in the valleys. Technically, they seat 50ish people, but they are one of the only forms of transportation here that you can actually stand up in. Because of this, they pack the people in like sardines; they get friendly in the aisles, they sit on each other’s laps, they lie on top of things in the luggage area, they cram into the stairwell. I have no way of knowing how many people were actually packed into our bus (I’m going to estimate close to 100), but all I know is we sat (yes, luckily we had actual seats) on that bus until close to 2:45 before finally leaving (oh, and I can’t forget the ticket taker who got on at 2pm and sat herself down in the front of the bus, forcing every passenger to push their way forward to pay; though she and the other passengers sure got a kick out of me busting out my Kinyarwanda). So, we bumped and jolted our way down the dirt road and around 5 finally found ourselves in Kayove. Or rather, the “bus stop” at Kayove, which included one shop with snacks and tea, a barber shop, and an abandoned gas station. We were met by a smiling Tiffany who welcomed us to the bush, and then pointed up the mountain, which we now had to climb to get to Tiffany’s house.

On the way we stopped to see the “village sights”. Tiffany’s “bar” where she drinks tea, her umudozi (seamstress), her snack shop, her “market” (aka a few ladies sitting on the side of the road selling cassava and potatoes, and if she’s lucky avocadoes and bananas). I suddenly realized I should never ever again take for granted 1) how easy it is to get to and away from my site, and 2) how wonderful my market and other store offerings are. We got to Tiffany’s house, which was cozy and adorable, with a shockingly gorgeous view into a misty valley, and spent the night drinking tea, eating a yummy rice concoction and watching episodes of Gossip Girl. We turned in early, as the next morning was going to be quite eventful: church.

I’ve attempted to go to church numerous times here, but always end up being out of town, or not feeling well, or actually succeeding at sleeping in. I’ve been warned that church is long here. The Catholic’s are actually the shortest, coming in at around 2 hours, but the Protestants are known to go on for at least 3 hours. Tiffany’s church is Protestant, and she’s a member of the choir. Service started at 9, so after a fantastic breakfast of sweet banana fritters, Portia and I were ushered to seats right beside Tiffany’s choir, and what happened next can only be described as…well, I can’t really think of the words to describe it actually. Let’s just say:

1) We were seated at a prime angle to be the recipients of the largest version of the “Abazungu Stare” I’ve experienced in awhile.
2) There were actually seven choirs, and I had every intention of remembering what all of them were, but the details escape me currently. But I know for a fact that they came in every age, gender and shape, and the people who were not in one of the choirs were definitely in the minority. Each choir was different but the music was joyous and always accompanied by lots and lots of dancing.
3) At one point there were introductions and as special guests we had to be properly introduced to the church. Tiffany did the introducing in Kinyarwanda and afterwards we were expected to pump our first in the air yelling “Hallelujah!” Needless to say our lack of volume and enthusiasm was borderline embarrassing, but we were still greeted by the usual response of a long Kinyarwanda phrase that in essence means “We bless you in the name of Jesus Christ” while the parishioners held their hands up to bless us (mixed in of course with giggles of laughter from the masses).
4) During the sermon, the choir member next to me decided it would be helpful to attempt to translate the pastor’s words to me. (As much as I enjoyed and appreciated his attempt, it wasn’t.)
5) Halfway through church the skies opened up, and the rain continued to pound on the roof for the duration of the service, so as service winded down, the dancing escalated to sheer “dance party” proportions, and the dust on the floor (accumulated during the long months of dry season) soon swirled into the air, clouding the entire room, as the number of dancers increased. We soon joined the fun, and it was quite surreal dancing in a sea of Rwandans, young and old, mimicking their steps to the music. I’ll never forget the smiles on all of those faces.
6) They lied about the three hours. More like almost four and a half hours. I’m impressed with my stamina and ability to pay attention. Thoroughly impressed.

When the rain let up, we said our farewells, scurried home, grabbed our bags and trekked down the mountain to wait for the bus to Kibuye. Thus begins the Waiting Game. We arrived at the bus stop a little before 2, drenched, cold and starving from our walk. We quickly bought samboussas and then stood. And waited. And waited. Finally at four, a bus arrived! However, the ticket taker yelled out he was not going to Kibuye, only to Congonile, the next big town on the dirt road, only halfway to Kibuye. But, he said, another a bus is coming going to Kibuye. When we asked him what time it would get there, he quickly said four, and the bus began to pull away. “But it is four” we yelled after him, but were greeted only by exhaust fumes.

The waiting continued. The samboussa eating continued. The rain continued.

Finally at 6pm, we decided it was best to call Peace Corps to let them know we would either be very late, or not arrive that night at all. We were promptly told that we should not come that evening, but wait until the morning. So, we trekked back up the mountain, attempted to warm up and had one of the most delicious but disastrous dinners ever. (Aka we realized that Tiffany didn’t really have any food since she was planning to be away a week, decided to make chapatti since that only took flour and water, went to turn on the kerosene stove and realized that Tiffany’s lighter wasn’t working and she didn’t have matches, climbed the hill to “town” to buy matches, and then devoured chapatti and tea until we passed out.)

By 7am the next morning we were out the door to begin the Waiting Game: Take Two. At 7:45 a matatu passed…no room. At 8:30 a second matatu arrived and we quickly elbowed our way onto it, I even resorted to elbowing a man into a pile of mud in order to make my way on (don’t feel bad; we were there first and I’m fairly positive he would have done it himself if given the opportunity). Shoved into a jump seat, I quickly noticed that the mechanical condition of the matatu could only be characterized as “questionable”. For the first half of the ride I attempted to thwart the man seated in front of me’s attempt to lean back and insert my backpack into my lung cavity, all while praying that the matatu wouldn’t break down. And then I spent the second half of the ride staring at the man who replaced Leaner Backer, who had decided to wear the shiniest, purpliest shirt ever created; and of course, I continued my prayers.

Three hours of horror later, we arrived in Rubengera, where we had to switch buses. After a large squabble over the fare (go figure), we boarded another matatu for the quick, 20 minute journey to Kibuye. We stumbled off the bus in Kibuye, hugging each other that we had finally arrived. All that was left was a 20 minute walk, uphill, in the noon heat, to our destination: Centre Bethanie. When we walked into the conference room, applause rang out from our fellow volunteers. We smiled, accepted the homemade cookies another PCV, Emily, had made, and were extremely happy to realize that not only had we finally arrived, but it was just in time for lunch break.

So there ends our saga, an ode to how hilarious yet frustrating the simple act of travel is in this country. At the end of the day we had fun, and we made it. But I’m extremely thankful that my best friends, free food, free wireless, and many days staring at the beauty that is Lake Kivu awaited us at the end.

No comments:

Be the change you want to see in the world.
-Mahatma Gandhi